This simple oxtail soup recipe is a classic recipe in Chinese culture and actually finds its roots in Russia. It tends to be brothier and lighter than the Western versions of oxtail soup, and also contains many nutrients and lots of flavor. It takes about two hours to make.
Chinese Oxtail Soup Recipe
- 4 lbs oxtails separated at joints
- 8 cups beef stock or bouillon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 carrots diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 4 potatoes diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/3 head of cabbage chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- heavy cream or Greek yogurt for garnish
- Add oxtail and water or stock to a large stockpot. Cook over medium-high heat and then bring to a boil before simmering for about half an hour. Remove any foam or debris from the top of the liquid.
- Transfer the oxtail and broth to a pressure cooker or Instant Pot. Turn it on high pressure and set it to 35 minutes. Once the soup has cooked, let it release pressure before proceeding.
- Transfer the broth into an oil separator to remove extra fat. If you do not have an oil separator, you can also just let the broth sit for ten minutes before skimming the top with a ladle.
- If you don’t want to serve your oxtail with bones, you will need to let it sit for about half an hour to cool. You can then remove the meat from the bones and break it into smaller chunks.
- Heat your stockpot, adding onions and carrots once it has warmed. Cook until the onion softens, about fifteen minutes or so. Then, transfer the beef broth and beef meat back to the big pot. Add your ginger, potatoes, cabbage, tomato, tomato paste, and spices. Simmer for about forty minutes.
- Transfer the soup to bowls, then garnish with heavy cream or yogurt.
Check out some other oxtail soup recipes: