This oxtail soup is a decadent option for a cold winter night, including dumplings to make it a complete, balanced meal.
Oxtail and Dumplings Soup Recipe
- 1 oxtail divided into pieces
- 1 beef hock
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 carrots chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 parsnips chopped
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- Thyme, bay leaves, parsley, salt and pepper to taste
- Start by browning your oxtail in a cast iron skillet. Once it is brown, add the beef hock. Season both with salt and pepper and sear both sides before transferring them to a plate.
- Add your vegetables and cook for about five minutes. Then add minced garlic and red wine. Cook for about a minute more before adding your water, meat, spices, and tomato paste.
- Simmer the mixture until the beef is tender, or for about four hours.
- Remove the meat and pick off the bones before returning it to the soup pot. While it continues to cook, make your dumplings. To do this, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Dice your potatoes and put them in a saucepan. Cover them with water and salt, then boil until they’re tender and mash them.
- Add two eggs to the mashed potatoes, as well as the flour, parmesan, parsley, and garlic. Turn the dough out onto a floured counter and knead it for a few minutes. Tear off pieces of the dough, about half-dollar sized pieces, and add them to the boiling water. Cook for eight minutes. Serve the dumplings with the soup.
Rebekah is a high-school English teacher n New York, where she lives on a 22 acre homestead. She raises and grows chickens, bees, and veggies such as zucchini (among other things).