This classic oxtail soup recipe, beloved by the Scottish, is easy to make and even easier to enjoy. This is one of those dishes you start in the morning so it will be fall apart tender, ready for the evening meal.
Scottish Oxtail Soup Recipe
- 1 oxtail any size, with fat removed
- 1 carrot large
- 2 stalks celery large
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 12 oz cans beef stock beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 2 onions
- bay leaves
- This soup’s preparation begins by creating the spice bag that makes this recipe so distinct. To make it, you need to combine equal parts bay leaves, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper atop a piece of cheesecloth. Add two green onions as well as a celery stalk. Fold up the top of the cheesecloth and tie off the top. It does not matter if you use dry or fresh herbs for this process.
- Add the rest of your ingredients to a large stock pot.
- Cook for six to seven hours, adding the spice bag for extra flavor. You can brown the oxtail ahead of time and make a separate base if you’d like a less fatty broth, but this is not a mandatory step.
If you’re short on time or space, this soup can even be made in a slow cooker – the key here is the addition of the spice bag.