Making your own natural wax melt air fresheners is easy, fun, cheap, and keeps potentially harmful artificial ingredients out of your home.
Commercially manufactured wax melts are made with a paraffin wax. There is no need to use such a petroleum-based wax to enjoy both the look and fragrance of wax melts – all natural coconut oil and beeswax work just as well.
Natural Wax Melts Recipe
- Small to medium pot
- Mixing bowl – preferably non-metallic
- Silicone Mold or similar mold that can withstand hot items – an ice cube tray or chocolate mold works equally well.
- Glass or metal measuring cup
- ¼ cup beeswax pastilles
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- up to 100 drops your favorite essential oils
- Pour about two inches of water into your pot.
- Bring the water only to a simmer heat.
- Pour an inch or two of water into your saucepan, and bring it to a simmer on your stovetop.
- Place the beeswax and coconut oil into the measuring cup.
- Set the now filled measuring cup over the simmering pot.
- Allow the coconut oil and beeswax to melt thoroughly. You should not have to stir to avoid scorching but doing so will not harm the project. I rarely resist the urge to stir just to make sure the wax and oil do not scorch.
- Remove the measuring cup from the heat.
- Drop in your chosen essential oil and stir so they combine completely.
- Carefully pour the mixture into your molds.Place the molds somewhere absolutely level and allow them to thoroughly dry at room temperature before storing in an airtight container or using:
You can enjoy using these DIY natural air fresheners in your home (or giving them as gifts) without worrying a single second about exposing loved ones to unknown artificial ingredients, or to volatile organic compounds.
Tara lives on a 56 acres farm in the Appalachian Mountains, where she faces homesteading and farming challenges every single day. her homesteading skills are unmatched, she raises chickens, goats, horses, a wide variety of vegetables, not to mention she’s an expert is all sorts of homesteading skills such as hide tanning, doll making, tree tapping and many, many more.