Making your own natural wax melt air fresheners is easy, fun, cheap, and keeps potentially harmful artificial ingredients out of your home.
Commercially manufactured wax melts are made with a paraffin wax. There is no need to use such a petroleum-based wax to enjoy both the look and fragrance of wax melts – all natural coconut oil and beeswax work just as well.
Natural Wax Melts Recipe
- Small to medium pot
- Mixing bowl – preferably non-metallic
- Silicone Mold or similar mold that can withstand hot items – an ice cube tray or chocolate mold works equally well.
- Glass or metal measuring cup
- ¼ cup beeswax pastilles
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- up to 100 drops your favorite essential oils
- Pour about two inches of water into your pot.
- Bring the water only to a simmer heat.
- Pour an inch or two of water into your saucepan, and bring it to a simmer on your stovetop.
- Place the beeswax and coconut oil into the measuring cup.
- Set the now filled measuring cup over the simmering pot.
- Allow the coconut oil and beeswax to melt thoroughly. You should not have to stir to avoid scorching but doing so will not harm the project. I rarely resist the urge to stir just to make sure the wax and oil do not scorch.
- Remove the measuring cup from the heat.
- Drop in your chosen essential oil and stir so they combine completely.
- Carefully pour the mixture into your molds.Place the molds somewhere absolutely level and allow them to thoroughly dry at room temperature before storing in an airtight container or using:
You can enjoy using these DIY natural air fresheners in your home (or giving them as gifts) without worrying a single second about exposing loved ones to unknown artificial ingredients, or to volatile organic compounds.
Tara lives on a 56 acres farm in the Appalachian Mountains, where she faces homesteading and farming challenges every single day, raising chickens, goats, horses, and tons of vegetables. She’s an expert in all sorts of homesteading skills such as hide tanning, doll making, tree tapping, and many more.