It’s pear season around these parts, and I’ve got plenty to go around! Here’s a delicious fruit crisp recipe that my family has enjoyed either for breakfast or dessert!
I’ve been making this with pears lately, but apples are the best, in my opinion. You can also substitute peaches or apricots as they come into season! They make great fruit crips as well.
Adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook…
Apple Crisp Recipe
- 5 cups peeled, thinly sliced apples (or fruit of choice)
- 3 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 c. regular rolled oats
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour (I use freshly ground hard red or white wheat)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- dash ground nutmeg (ginger is better with pears)
- 1/4 c. butter
- In a bowl, mix the sliced apples with the sugar until well coated.
- In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients, cutting the butter in until the mixture is crumbly.
- Place the apples in an 8 x 1 1/2″ round baking dish, and sprinkle the topping over all.
- Bake at 375* for 30-35 min., or until fruit is tender and the topping is lightly browned.
We enjoy it plain, or with vanilla ice cream, or even whipped cream!
Do you have a favorite apple crisp recipe?
A city girl learning to homestead on an acre of land in the country. Wife and homeschooling mother of four. Enjoying life, and everything that has to do with self sufficient living.
2 thoughts on “Apple Crisp (Better Homes and Gardens) Recipe”
I tried this last night and it was really good. My husband thought this was absolutly great Thank you
Made this tonight and the whole family loved it. I used gluten free flour and added some tapioca starch to my pears since they were juicy.