Here’s a deliciously sweet alternative to just canning carrots in plain water. We tried them out last week and loved them! I found the recipe on Creative Canning. It originally calls for using ginger, but we don’t really like ginger so I left it out. I canned baby carrots and some sliced carrots using this recipe. Yummy!
Glazzed Carrots Recipe
- 10 lbs. carrots
- 8 cups brown sugar
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups orange Juice
- Wash and drain carrots.
- In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water and OJ.
- Heat over medium, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Keep it hot; you don’t have to bring it to a boil.
- Pack raw carrots into hot/sterilized jars leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Fill jars with hot syrup, again leaving 1″ headspace.
- Tap to remove air bubbles.
- Wipe rim of jar with wet rag to remove any drips
- Screw on sterilized lids. In a pressure canner, process pints or quarts for 30 min. at 10 lbs pressure.
Do you have a favorite glazed carrots recipe? What’s your favorite way to can carrots?
A city girl learning to homestead on an acre of land in the country. Wife and homeschooling mother of four. Enjoying life, and everything that has to do with self sufficient living.