We try to eat only organic, but sometimes it can be hard to find, or just out of our price range. With a grocery budget of $40 / week, until we are growing most of our produce, we’re limited in how much organic food we can buy.
If you are in the same situation, you don’t have to feel helpless. There are still ways to make our non-organic produce safer to eat.
Here is a recipe for a fruit & vegetable wash that removes 98% of bacteria, and pesticide residues, making them healthier for you and your family to enjoy!
Fruit and Veggie Wash Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 20 drops grapefruit seed extract
- Mix the water, vinegar, and baking soda in a large bowl. Remember that the combination of vinegar and baking soda causes quite a bit of foaming.
- Add the drops of GSE.
- Once the bubbles have gone down a bit, pour the solution into a spray bottle
- Spritz this solution liberally over your produce just prior to cooking or eating.
- Allow it to sit for 5 minutes before rinsing the produce spray off.
It’s that easy! Super cheap, and super effective.
*NOTE: Don’t ever soak mushrooms in this solution, as they will only absorb it.
Grape Fruit Seed Extract is a powerful anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic, anti-microbial, and works amazingly well at cleaning and disinfecting many things, including produce.
Of course this won’t make them organic, nor will it get rid of 100% of the chemicals on the produce, BUT it’s a whole lot better than rinsing with only water!
So, if you can’t buy organic, at least take this extra step and help make your food better for everyone!
Are you in the habit of washing your produce before cooking or eating it? Do you have a favorite homemade fruit and vegetable wash recipe to share?
A city girl learning to homestead on an acre of land in the country. Wife and homeschooling mother of four. Enjoying life, and everything that has to do with self sufficient living.