I LOVE making these for baby showers. And they are so simple! I saw a similar idea somewhere where they had made angels out of these jars, and I thought the babies would be really cute too. You can make these into anything though (snowman, bride/groom, animals…) So here’s how I make them:
- 1 1/2 in. styrofoam ball
- pipe cleaner (for hair); yellow, brown, black, or orange
- acrylic paints; flesh color, pink, black, white
- Spray paint for the lid (it just goes on the best); whatever color you want it to be (I like blue and pink)
- a clean baby food jar
- thin ribbon
- mini pacifier (you can find these in craft stores in the baby shower supplies)
- Hot glue gun
- Filling for the jar (whatever you want to put in it!)
- Wash and dry the baby food jar really well (you’ll need to soak it to get all the sticky label stuff off)
- Spray paint the lid; may need two coats
- Paint the styrofoam ball flesh color
- Twist the pipe cleaner around a pencil to make it curl. Cut a piece about 1 in. long and stick it into the top of the ball once the paint has dried. This creates the curly hair on top.
- Hot glue the ball to the top of the lid, once the paint has dried.
- Push plastic pacifier into the ball where the mouth would be.
- Dip the end of a paintbrush in black acrylic paint and dot two eyes above the pacifier.
- Paint two round circles with pink paint beside the pacifier, where the cheeks would be.
- When the black paint has dried, using a small, fine paintbrush, dab a dot of white paint on the upper right side of each black dot, to create a highlight.
- Tie a ribbon around the neck.
- Fill the jar with whatever you’d like. I like using candy or filling them with lavender-scented candles.
Have them displayed on a cupcake stand, and there you go!
A city girl learning to homestead on an acre of land in the country. Wife and homeschooling mother of four. Enjoying life, and everything that has to do with self sufficient living.
12 thoughts on “Cute Baby Food Jar Craft”
I am making these for a baby shower soon. I used flesh color for the styrofoam balls, (actual color was AC FLESH) after it dried it doesn’t look like the right color. Are the balls supposed to be smooth? The paint kind of soaked into the ball and I can see all the little holes, any feedback??
The texture of the styrofoam won’t change, only the color. It should be uniform in color, though.
where did you get the baby food jars? .. did you have to purchase all the babyfood and dump it out???
I need something for a wedding with this baby jars
Just made these for my nieces baby shower they turned out so so cute. I did the lids in lavender with pink mini pacifier. 😀
How cutie what size are the baby jars I’m going to try to make some for my friends baby shower
Just wondering what for stand these items are in. Holding all babies.
It’s a Wilton cupcake stand 🙂
I know this is a little late. I figured good to post for anyone who may still want to do this project. If you do not have the lids you can always use a cicular piece of fabric/lace and card stock to cover the opening. First cut out size needed by placing jar upside down on cardstock (use pencil to outline the jar). Second cut out your desired size of fabric to cover top of jar. Third place ribbon or any other decorations of choice around rim, you could use hot glue if you would like. Decorate with embellishments.
I was just wondering if you used the small glass baby food jars like the gerber ones? Thanks
i really would like to do this. i saved a ton of baby food jars but not the lids. what can i use instead of the lids? can i buy lids anywhere?
Don’t know what to tell ya if you don’t have lids 🙁 I doubt you can buy them anywhere.