So, those of you who are my friends on Facebook know that we’ve been battling a virus in our house over the past few days. At first I thought it was strep-throat, only because I’d just learned we’d been exposed to it and then Titus got sick like two days later. But thank goodness it’s only a good old fashioned cold.

The kids all had fevers over 103* the first 24 hours they had it. Now it’s developed into a cough. I have become more and more leery of giving Tylenol and/or Motrin for fevers, after doing some research into the effects of this, so I’ve been doing everything else I can to keep the kids comfortable:

  • Cold wash rag on head, (or under arms if they’ll let me)
  • Lots of ice water
  • Making sure the kids aren’t overdressed (ie: sweat pants in bed)
  • Short, lukewarm baths (though they don’t particularly enjoy this, they feel better once they get out)
  • Belladonna tablets- though I did try this, it didn’t help to reduce the fever.
  • Rest. Rest. Rest.

I’ve also been giving the kids colloidal silver. This is our first time ever using it and I have to admit I was a little hesitant and a bit nervous even giving it to them, but after reading TONS and TONS of articles online about the benefits and safety of colloidal silver, I thought it would be a good thing to try.

I also got some Manuka honey to give to Jada and Ty. Even though Xia is over a year old now, I’m still hesitant to give her honey. Infants, though rare, can develop infant botulism from eating honey, and I’m scared to take a chance yet.

For those who don’t know about Manuka honey, it is made from bees which have collected their pollen from the same plant that we get Tea Tree Oil from. We know what an amazing natural antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal essential oil tea tree oil is. Well, Manuka honey boasts the same benefits, only it can be taken internally as well as used topically. Not all Manuka is the same though, it must have a UMF of 16 or higher to have true healing properties. I’ve been giving the kids a teaspoon of honey a couple of times a day, 30 minutes before eating.

I also just started a peroxide treatment tonight. I wish I’d started doing this right off the bat as it works much better if you start as soon as symptoms appear (as with any treatment, I suppose).ย  What you do is drop several drops of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide into one ear, and let it sit for several minutes, until the bubbling stops. It feels really weird, and the kids freaked out at first, but it doesn’t hurt, it’s just a strange fizzing sensation. Let it drain out and then do the other ear. Repeat this treatment every few hours throughout the day until it doesn’t bubble anymore when you do it. Supposedly, this treatment alone will knock a cold out of you within a day, if caught immediately.

Ty’s cough is pretty bad, so I’m gonna make a batch of this homemade cough syrup and give it to him throughout the day, as needed:

Onion Cough Syrup

  • 1 medium-large onion
  • 1 cup honey (or sugar if you don’t have honey, though honey is best)

Peel and chop the onion, and place the slices in a small bowl or glass jar. As you fill the jar, layer the onion with the honey or sugar, topping off with honey. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and allow to sit on counter overnight. Juices from the onion and honey will mix and form a pleasant syrup; strain the onion pieces out. Take 1 tsp syrup every 4 hours, or as needed.

I haven’t tried this one yet, but I’ll let you know what I think!

*Update– So, I’ve been using the onion cough syrup today. I don’t know if I’ve used it enough to be able to tell, but I haven’t really noticed it helping much. It’s definitely not a “miracle” cure.

I also made a chamomile tea with garlic and honey. My poor kids, I’m subjecting them to all kinds of unusual things!! But you know what, they’re getting better!!

I’m really wishing I had some oregano oil, too. But Whole Foods had it for like $30… way too much on top of all of the other stuff we’ve bought. So, I’ll have to keep an eye out for it on sale later.

Oh yeah, one more thing I’d like to try if the coughing persists through the night- slathering a homemade vapor rub (with eucalyptus essential oil) on the bottom of the kids’ feet and covering them with socks.

Maybe a chopped onion by the bedside as well?

So many things to try!! Of course, I’ll do the Neti Pot, but the kids can’t handle that yet.

Anybody have any other old fashioned cough & cold remedies that you like to treat your family with? Tell me what works for you!