I do not remember where I found this recipe, but I’ve been using it for a long time and we all LOVE it! An absolute favorite in our home, I hope your family will enjoy it as well!
- 1 c. coconut oil
- 2 c. sugar
- 6 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour (I like to use half whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350*. Spray two 9×5 loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray. (I like to make muffins too. This recipe will make 18 muffins and 1 loaf.)
- Cream shortening and sugar until light.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and spices.
- Add to shortening mixture and mix well.
- Thoroughly mash bananas.
- Stir into batter, then stir in nuts (if desired).
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake loafs 45 min – 1 hour. Bake muffins about 30 min.
I just made a fresh batch, and the heavenly scent of banana bread is filling our home! Simply lovely.
** Just a side note… I like to make lots of muffins and freeze them. They thaw very quickly in just a few seconds in the microwave, and are a wonderful quick snack or breakfast.
A city girl learning to homestead on an acre of land in the country. Wife and homeschooling mother of four. Enjoying life, and everything that has to do with self sufficient living.