I’ve briefly mentioned that my family has recently decided that we would not be eating pork anymore (hence, selling the pig we were dead set on butchering). Well, my husband shared an email with me tonight which pretty much sums up our conviction, so I wanted to pass the info on to you as well. Something I think you should definitely investigate and pray about.
Swine, which is pork, is a very popular food item with many people. Some followers of Christ are unaware that God has condemned the eating of swine’s flesh. The condemnation was based on some very sound biological principles.
Here are some facts on pork that prove it to be a very unhealthy food to eat:
1. A pig is a real garbage gut. It will eat anything including urine, excrement, dirt, decaying animal flesh, maggots, or decaying vegetables. They will even eat the cancerous growths off other pigs or animals.
2. The meat and fat of a pig absorbs toxins like a sponge. Their meat can be 30 times more toxic than beef or venison.
3. When eating beef or venison, it takes 8 to 9 hours to digest the meat so what little toxins are in the meat are slowly put into our system and can be filtered by the liver. But when pork is eaten, it takes only 4 hours to digest the meat. We thus get a much higher level of toxins within a shorter time.
4. Unlike other mammals, a pig does not sweat or perspire. Perspiration is a means by which toxins are removed from the body. Since a pig does not sweat, the toxins remain within its body and in the meat.
5. Pigs and swine are so poisonous that you can hardly kill them with strychnine or other poisons.
6. Farmers will often pen up pigs within a rattlesnake nest because the pigs will eat the snakes, and if bitten they will not be harmed by the venom.
7. When a pig is butchered, worms and insects take to its flesh sooner and faster than to other animal’s flesh. In a few days the swine flesh is full of worms.
8. Swine and pigs have over a dozen parasites within them, such as tapeworms, flukes, worms, and trichinae. There is no safe temperature at which pork can be cooked to ensure that all these parasites, their cysts,and eggs will be killed.
9. Pig meat has twice as much fat as beef. A 3 oz T bone steak contains 8.5 grams of fat; a 3 oz pork chop contains 18 grams of fat. A 3 oz beef rib has 11.1 grams of fat; a 3 oz pork spare rib has 23.2 grams of fat.
10. Cows have a complex digestive system, having four stomachs. It thus takes over 24 hours to digest their vegetarian diet causing its food to be purified of toxins. In contrast, the swine’s one stomach takes only about 4 hours to digest its foul diet, turning its toxic food into flesh.
11. The swine carries about 30 diseases which can be easily passed to humans. This is why God commanded that we are not even to touch their carcass (Leviticus 11:8).
12. The trichinae worm of the swine is microscopically small, and once ingested can lodge itself in our intestines, muscles, spinal cord or the brain. This results in the disease trichinosis. The symptoms are sometimes lacking, but when present they are mistaken for other diseases, such as typhoid, arthritis, rheumatism, gastritis, MS, meningitis, gall bladder trouble, or acute alcoholism.
13. The pig is so poisonous and filthy, that nature had to prepare him a sewer line or canal running down each leg with an outlet in the bottom of the foot. Out of this hole oozes pus and filth his body cannot pass into its system fast enough. Some of this pus gets into the meat of the pig.
There are other reasons grounded in biological facts that could be listed to show why pigs and swine should not be eaten. But a believer should only need one reason why not to eat this type of food, because God prohibited it.
“And the swine, because it divides the hoof, yet does not chew the cud, it is unclean unto you: you shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass.” – Leviticus 11:7,8; Deuteronomy 14:8
Some say Christ abolished the law condemning pork. But the problems with pork are biological, and Christ never changed the laws of biology.
For us, it is not a matter of keeping to the Old Testament laws, though in all honesty we are slowly studying this very topic (still yet to come to a conclusion). Not eating pork anymore is a decision we have made because we realize that God, in His infinite wisdom, has done His best to warn us not to eat this meat. And we believe it would only be foolish not to follow His commands, regardless of what the world tells us today (including mainstream Christianity).
Of course, I do not expect everyone to share this conviction. But I definitely think this information is worth sharing, whether you are a believer or not. It’s hard to argue with science.
For us, the hardest part of making this decision was thinking that we’d have to give up pepperoni pizza. We LOVE pepperoni pizza! But, it wasn’t long after we thought it was just going to have to be a sacrifice we made when we discovered BEEF pepperoni! Who knew? And it’s just as good!! We’ve also substituted turkey bacon for bacon, also delicious. So, it really hasn’t been as difficult to give up as we initially thought it would be.
So, what do you think? Have you already decided to stop eating pork for your own reasons? Are you one who believes that the Lord has made all things clean and safe to eat? I look forward to a nice discussion with you guys!