When it came to breastfeeding, nobody told me…
- That the day my milk came in I would wake up with my shirt completely soaked, and for several days afterwards.
- That I would go from a size B to a D, and back down again in a matter of hours.
- That the first two weeks of nursing would be extremely painful, even though I know my technique was right.
- That I would get so cracked and sore that my curious 3 yr. old would ask me if the baby was drinking blood!
- That these two products would save me tons on agony: Lanolin and Soothies . They are WONDERFUL! I gave them both to my sister when she had her baby.
- That I needed the baby to nurse, just as much as he needed me! Can you spell ENGORGEMENT!
- That there aren’t many public places that will accommodate a nursing mother. Try nursing your baby in a public restroom with no chair to sit in. Fun!
- That at first, trying to pump milk was like trying to get juice from a banana! You’re lucky if you get a few drops.
- That my entire day would revolve around this one person’s hunger.
- That I would be able to sleep nurse successfully!
- That I would learn to twist my body into uncomfortable positions at times in order to nurse my baby in cramped spaces (try an airplane seat!).
- That my long hair would come in handy to cover embarrassing leakage in public. I suggest you keep nursing pads close by!
*By the way, as I was typing this discovered that nursing pads also make great coasters!
- But most importantly: That I would never feel such a fulfilling, rewarding joy as knowing that I was able to personally sustain and nourish my beautiful child. I wouldn’t trade it for all the formula in the world!!