This is my absolute favorite brownie recipe. You can use all purpose flour, but using 100% whole wheat makes them good for you. That’s what I tell myself, anyways.
- 1/2 c. butter
- 7 Tbsp cocoa powder*
- 1Tbsp fat (I use shortening)*
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour (I use freshly ground hard white wheat; you could use all purpose.)
*OR, you could substitute the cocoa powder and fat for 2 oz unsweetened chocolate squares.
Melt the butter, shortening, and cocoa powder together over low-med. heat in a medium sized saucepan. Remove from heat and add the sugar, eggs and vanilla just till combined. Stir the flour in well. Pour batter into a greased 8×8 baking dish. Bake at 350* for 30 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean from center.
If you really wanna go all out, once they’ve cooled top them off with this deliciously easy fudge frosting:
- 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 c. butter, softened
- 1/6 c. boiling water (half of 1/3 c)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the powdered sugar and cocoa.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, beating on low until thoroughly combined.
- Then beat on medium for 1 min.
- Cool for about 30 min, so that it hardens to spreading consistency.
- Try not to eat it all with a spoon.
A city girl learning to homestead on an acre of land in the country. Wife and homeschooling mother of four. Enjoying life, and everything that has to do with self sufficient living.