**This Giveaway is now Closed. Congratulations to Monica (hew…@yahoo.com)! And a big thanks to all who entered.
If you’ve been thinking about trying to hatch and raise your own baby poultry, Hatching & Brooding Your Own Chicks by expert Gail Damerow is the absolute best resource I have found on the subject thus far.
This book details raising chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese and guinea fowl, giving step by step instructions for incubating eggs and raising healthy chicks. Among these pages you will also find tons of full color photos to really help you see what everything is supposed to look like.
1. Acquiring Your First Chicks– Selecting a Chicken Breed, Care to Give Turkeys or Guineas a Try?, Choosing Ducks and Geese, Finding the Hatchlings for You, The Right Time for Chicks
2. Setting Up Your Brooder– Brooder Features, Ready-Made Brooders, Homemade Brooders, Housing for Tween-Age Birds, Providing Heat for the Little Ones, Controlling Light
3. Managing Water, Feed, and Bedding– Providing Water, Providing Feed, Brooder Bedding
4. What to Expect as They Grow– Early Chick Development, Day Trips and Camping Out, Separating the Sexes, Instinctive Behaviors
5. Hatchling Health Issues– Contagious Diseases, Sudden Death, Physical Defects, Environmental Sickness
I was pleased to learn a lot of new tips and suggestions as I read through these chapters. I even had a few “ah-ha!” moments when I realized what I must have done wrong when we incubated eggs for the first time.
If you have any interest in hatching and raising baby poultry, I definitely recommend you get your hands on a copy of Hatching & Brooding Your Own Chicks. (You can buy it on Amazon.com right now for $15.49, reg. $24.95.)
Now, on to the Giveaway!!
Storey Publishing has so generously offered a free copy of Hatching & Brooding Your Own Chicks to one lucky New Life reader! Woo-hoo!
To get in on this giveaway, you can do any or all of the following for one entry each. *Leave a separate comment for each entry, as each comment is counted as the entry itself!
1. Simply leave a comment here letting me know why you’d love to own this book!
2. “Like” Storey Publishing on Facebook
3. “Like” New Life on a Homestead on Facebook (be sure to let me know if you’re already a fan there!)
4. Share this giveaway on your blog, or other Social Media/Networking sites
I’ll choose one random winner on Friday, March 15th, 2013 at noon EST. Open to US and Canada. Good luck everyone!
A copy of Hatching & Brooding Your Own Chicks was provided for this review by Storey Publishing, who is also providing a copy of the book for the giveaway. A big thanks to Storey Publishing for their continuing generosity!